Monday, July 20, 2009

So many stuffed animals, so little time!!

Sarah, my 11 year old granddaughter from Arkansas, spent a week with me recently. She adores doing arts and crafts as much as I do, maybe even more.

Sarah with her new collection of creatures.

Everyday we did some kind of project. I taught her to use my sewing machine and together we created a menagerie of cool stuffed creatures.

Sarah, concentrating on her stitching!!

All it really requires is a whole bunch of stuffing material, plenty of old clothes to cut up and a few socks. Sarah made up a lot of her creatures by drawing them on the material with chalk.

Chalked mermaid.

She also looked through one of my favorite books on stuffed animals, Plush-O-Rama by Linda Kopp, and based some of her creature designs on those she liked from Linda's book.


That same week FaveCrafts asked me to submit a craft to their website, this gave me the idea to interview Sarah as a guest blogger and find out how she feels about creativity.

Stuffing a creature.

Here's what she had to say.
RG: What are your favorite colors?
Sarah: Green, blue and purple.

RG: Do you have a favorite art project?
Sarah: Probably stuffed animals, because I got to learn to use a sewing machine.

RG: What is your favorite part of being in the art studio?
Sarah: So many possibilities of what you can do, looking around at everything.

RG: What inspires you?
Sarah: Pictures in magazines for drawing; for stuffed animals just seeing them all in my room.

RG: What do you think is the most exciting part of a new project?
Sarah: Watching it all unfold and come together.

RG: Which stuffed animal is your favorite and how did you come up with the name.
Sarah: My favorites are Polly and Molly, I picked Polly because it's a fun name and reminds me of pink, I picked Molly because it rhymes with Polly.

Sarah, Polly and Molly.

Thank you Sarah, we had a great time crafting!!

Click over to FaveCrafts website to see my latest project called Bling Bouquet.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

LOVE the animals. Have a friend who makes those by the bucket load. My son, Clyde loves his which is named Bill.

Dancing B*a*g Lady said...

Grandmas and Grandaughers. Oh what a wonderful thing.

Mary Lynn said...

These stuffies are great! I love that your grand daughter is so creative, taking after you Rowdy Grandma. I saw your Bling article and I may have to make one of these for myself. Just too sweet!

Heidi Caswell said...

We should get your granddaughter and my daughter Nicki together. She is 12, loves animals, esp cats. I think she has over 50 stuffed animals. Some were gifts, some she bought, others were no longer wanted by their previous owners.

Frenzied Texas Momma said...

That is so neat! My mother in law just created a whole patio for her grandkids to come and do crafts in. They can leave it for later and everything! You have very gifted grandkiddos!

Carolee Hollenback said...

Grandma's are so special- the kids will always have fond memories of these times with you.